This feature via CDC
Lead poisoning is entirely preventable. The key is stopping children from coming into contact with lead and treating children who have been poisoned by lead. Learn more about preventing childhood lead poisoning and National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week activities.
Young children often place their toys, fingers, and other objects in their mouth as part of their normal development, this hand-to-mouth activity may put them in contact with lead paint or dust.
The most common sources of lead exposure for children are chips and particles of old lead paint. Although children may be directly exposed to lead from paint by swallowing paint chips, they are more commonly exposed by swallowing house dust or soil contaminated by leaded paint. This happens because lead paint chips become ground into tiny bits that become part of the dust and soil in and around homes. This usually occurs when leaded paint becomes old or worn or is subject to constant rubbing (as on doors and windowsills and wells). In addition, lead can be scattered when paint is disturbed during destruction, remodeling, paint removal, or preparation of painted surfaces for repainting.
Lead, which is invisible to the naked eye and has no smell, may be found in other sources. These sources may be the exposure source for as many as 30% of lead-poisoned children in certain areas across the United States. They include;
- traditional home health remedies such as azarcon and greta, which are used for upset stomach or indigestion in the Hispanic community
- imported candies
- imported toys and toy jewelry
- imported cosmetics
- pottery and ceramics
- drinking water contaminated by lead leaching from lead pipes, solder, brass fixtures, or valves and
- consumer products, including tea kettles and vinyl miniblinds
For preventative measures and other information continue reading about childhood lead poisoning